Newer things here:
- My free weekly newsletter Histories, ferreting out first-hand accounts from the hidden corners of history.
- Kenneth Grahame’s essay on walking, ‘The fellow that goes alone’, online in full for the first time here.
Here are a few old articles which have remained popular at this site:
- In search of Colin’s Barn (aka The Hobbit House)
- Exploring the Falcon Brook
- Walking the River Effra
- Omai goodness: a noble savage
- Animal words are strange fishes
- Does affiliate marketing work? Do the math(s)
- Shaking spears at each other [on the authorship of WS’s works]
And there are some more rambly old blog posts from 2004 to 2012, if you must.
Aside from editing many books of all kinds, I have written or contributed to the following:
- I co-created three volumes of Trivia Quiz Games books (2020)
- I wrote/compiled Thomas Cromwell: A Historical Sourcebook (2020)
- I co-authored the quiz book How Many Hippos? (2019)
- I wrote How to Research Historic Occupations (2019)
- I edited and published The History & Heritage Handbook (2015)
- Previous authorship includes The A-Z of Genealogy Websites and 101 Family History Tips (both Future Publishing, 2006) and The Monster Guide to Jobhunting (Pearson Education, 2001)
- I made sizeable contributions to Human: the Definitive Guide to Our Species (Dorling Kindersley, 2004) and 1001 Inventions that Changed the World (Cassell, 2009)