I’m Andrew Chapman (@chapmanbookman). I’m based near Oxford, UK. I help people make better books. I also dabble with web tools (see below). I’m the editor of Discover Your Ancestors magazine and of the British Association for Local History’s Local History News journal. I walk a lot. And I’m interested in all kinds of stuff, some of which I’ve written about, particularly history and landscape. I also write Histories, a weekly newsletter exploring hidden corners of the past. And there’s a page here on what I’m up to now.
What I can do for you
- copy edit your book (What does that mean? See my ‘Guide to the types of editing’) – I have particular expertise/experience as a history editor
- typeset your book for print or digital formats
- provide advice on self-publishing options
- if you’re a publishing company, I run a team for editorial services and project management of books and magazines.
- UPDATED for 2023: The Bookalyser – professional software for authors and editors
- NEW for 2022: Oundle – a version of Wordle with British place names
- Acrofinder.net – a search engine for acronyms
- A tool for helping write headlines (works but needs updating…)
- Who Should You Vote For? (co-created political quiz site: 5m+ users)
- How Many Hippos? (co-authored quiz book and website)
- I co-created and ran a leading book recommendation website from 2005 until we sold it in 2019